Sunday, March 13, 2011

Just checking in with the world

Good Evening  everyone, I hope that all of my blogging friends, and visitors are doing well and having a great week.

I am sure that all of you have been watching and are aware of the so very tragic happenings going on in Japan,  I personally do not have the words to even comment on this apocalyptic event.  My  heart grieves for all and to everyone who has someone there who is in the fight of their lives.  And it isn't over yet, with the nuclear reactors in critical status, I fear another Chernobyl.  It is one of my fears as I battled Papillary thyroid cancer, which is from radiation exposure and poisoning.  So this is something that I take to heart and urge others to please keep an ear on the news and maybe to their doctors.  I carry Iodine tablets on hand, just in case for others, it would not do me any good as I do not have a thyroid anymore, but for family and neighbors, just in case.

This should also be an eye opener for all, as to how quickly things can go "south".  And you need to be prepared somehow for things, though we can only prepare so much and as we can afford things.  There are web sites that are around that give ideas as to what to look for and purchase.  But the thing is, you do not know what "exactly" in coming down the pike, and as humans, we don't have a crystal ball or future sight, BUT, we can do some things that may help and then, as my granddad would say, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best".

I keep things on hand like extra water, and foods and my canning and dehydrating. I also keep a little extra gasoline on hand, and then if I don't  use it, I put it in the car.   We live in tornado alley here, and we have storms that have literally scared the pants off of me, and a few years ago, I had a small funnel touch down about 2 blocks away from me, and as I and the dog was trying to make for the ditch by my house, I got smacked in the head by flying stuff and hail  and I saw some stars and made my way back up the stairs dragging the dog, and all I could do was bail into the bathroom still dragging the dog and covering us with a large comforter and praying.  In just a few minutes, (it seemed over an hour), it was over and just raining and thundering and lightening and then in about 30 minutes, it was over and the sun came out.  We do not have a storm shelter here, so we are on our own.

Anyway, I urge others to please take heed, please plan a little as you can afford it.  I came across this blog site from another blog site, it is http://www.survivalblog.com/ and contains stable info, take it as you can.   I don't go overboard on things but I do carry things that I can use, and extras like tarps, greenhouse plastic, bungee cords, Gorilla tape, and good ol duck tape, and things like screws, nails, glues, and things that you just use around the house for repairs. I carry lathes, and some 1x4's and 2x4's.    I am armed, and can if I have to, I can  hunt,and  fish,  though I haven't done so in a number of years, as my physical health has gone down some, I also didn't have anyone to fish or hunt with, since it really isn't safe to go out on your own, even here in my lowly part of the country, as we are in a corridor of migrations of the railroad bums that wander around, and I have lots of them where I live as I only live 1 block from the Union Pacific railroad yards, and I have had encounters with bums and gypsies, and had to hold my own with them stealing from the gardens and making threats, seems they change their minds when you show them a 9mm...... The cops here do not do anything about the bum problem but just pick them up and move them to the outskirts of town, problem is, they have legs and move right back where they find food or can steal food, so again, you are somewhat on your own.

Isn't much going on in the garden bucket brigade.  We didn't get too much last weekend from the storm that was predicted, a few inches and chilly, but I was glad it didn't do too much.  It was more pesky  than a threat.  Today, we got about a inch of wet snow/rain mix, and chilly and then starting Monday, in the 60's and by Wednesday, 70's, woohoo.... I will be out for sure.
I planted some asparagus in a bucket, to see if I have any luck with that coming up.  I had some a few years ago, and I had a mole problem and they liked the beds with the bulbs and the asparagus, so I'll try this as my on going experiment to see if it can grow in buckets or barrels.  I covered the asparagus with greenhouse plastic to help it along until it starts coming up, and I guess the rest is up to nature and our Lord.
I started some tomatoes and some squash, and cucumbers.  I have got to get them out in the sun, I have a light on them during the day, and then place them on my water heater and they keep warm until the next day, also keeps them out of the cat's curiosity, I have had a few pots on the floor and dirt scattered all over. They find great fun playing in the potting soil and making messes with the dirt.

Other than that, my little world really doesn't have too much going on in it.  Until the weather starts cooperating, I can't do much, so if it starts breaking loose, I can get to my beds and change these around so I can start a mushroom bed,  I would like to start some Wine Caps and some Morels.  I hope the weather starts breaking so I can get a load of wood chips, and a load or two of compost from the city lot.  These are free so I will make use of these things for my gardens. I also am going to order a tabletop farm for Shiitake and some Portabellos. I grew Shiitake last year and they did great, so I will try this again.  I am getting interested in mushrooming more and more, they are interesting to watch and fun to grow.

Well, I think that I will take leave of all, I hate the time change, it makes me feel like I have a hang over without the party.  I personally wish they would leave it alone.  It takes me several weeks to get used to the change, but I just have to work through it, I can't stop.  I may take a little power nap and then I am ready to go for the second half.  I think that if we got some sun, it would help.  Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

Well, I wish everyone a productive week, have great things growing in your gardens and maybe things will look better for the week for the whole planet,  I do hope and pray for this.
Take care all.

8 comments:

  1. I found the buckets! They have them now at my WalMart! Hooray! Also we are on the same page

    http://milkweedmama7.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-difference-day-makes.html

    I just posted not too long ago and am still working on them. I need to hurry up and get them done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost hate to mention it's predicted to be 90 here on Thurs. I'm afraid we're in for a long, hot summer -- I live in tornado alley too. Hope your weather breaks soon. Being able to get out in the sunshine will perk you up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The horror in Japan is certainly top news--enough to make us believe in a possible 'end of time.'
    A couple of warm days here after nearly a week of chilly rain. So much to be done outside--the rain makes the weeds grow at a great pace--I didn't mulch my new perennial beds last season as I wanted some self-seeding to happen.
    Near the top of my list is to clean the beds and get them mulched.
    We have had two meals from over-wintered kale--real food!
    I hear you about kitties in seedlings--who would have thought a cat would chew up tomato plants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no words to describe what has gone on, and will be going on, in Japan ..so much devistation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chickensintheroad has instructions on how to can your own drinking water. I intend to use some of the gallon jars I have that take regular canning lids and do that. It only requires a water bath and is really easy.

    You're right that we never know what we'll be dealing with in the future. It's getting so I hate to turn on the TV. Seems like every day is a report on a new disaster. When a new disaster hits, we seem to forget about the folks involved in the one that happened before it, so everyone please keep in mind that those are still there, too, and remember them in your prayers. Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you posting again.

    The Japan disaster is just mind-boggling. I feel so sorry for them. It does make you pause about our country building more nuclear power plants. They are safe until something malfunctions and we all know things will malfunction at various time. We need to remember the oil rig fire in La.

    I think the mushroom project sounds very interesting. We have that large cellar that is very moist (especially when it rains heavily) dark and stays about 50° year round. That would be a good use for it. I need to do some research on that.

    DH hate the time change too an each year gripes for about a week!

    Tree man is coming today...an end product will be lots of free wood chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear from you again Denim. Yes, the news and pictures of Japan are heart wrenching. Our lives can be changed in an instant in this world.

    We also wish they would leave time one way or the other, this going back and forth does mess with our bodies that's for sure.

    Have a nice week and I hope you get to play outside soon.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki ~ Your blog is still here. Hurray. Sorry you've had some problems with being online, hope that's all fixed now.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete