Wednesday, December 4, 2013


Good Morning Everyone,

I have been working on a post for over a week now.  As most of you know, I have been in the process of working with an elderly law attorney to get elder Medicaid waivers  for my parents, especially for my dad, who is in a care facility, to cover the long term care.  My mom, who is still at home, now has my dad's income to help with her expenses to pay for utilities and groceries. It took an attorney to get this done as the case worker who was assigned this case was nothing more than a b***h, pure and simple.  She also tried to get me into hot water, saying I performed an illegal act by putting in some of my money in the account and she *tried* to lower the boom on me and have charges brought up against me.  Well, in the law firm I am using for my parents legal issues, there was a young attorney, who was new to the firm and the attorney who was working with the Medicaid, called in this youngster to take on the b***h and her accusations, and he did it pro bono, as I just did not have funds to pay for this case, plus I am also paying for guardianship of both parents also.  So my plate is way beyond full.  This young attorney practices several fields and also handles defense cases for small issues like what I had arise, and one phone call to the case worker backed her off instantly, and I,  from what I have received in the mail,have  no more issues.  I received notification that my dad's case is handled now, and things are somewhat smoothed over for the nursing home.  I still have the petition for court for guardianship next Tuesday and will hopefully have no issues with that.  That was one important reason this young attorney got involved is the fact that I did not need a criminal record from a silly notion to hurt the guardianship for my parents, the case worker did not realize that was going on, and also did not know I was an only child and totally backed off from the young attorney's threats, which I was told he did, and also threatened her job at the state.  I hope that I do not have repercussions from that.
I will tell you that this little incident has really affected me, mentally and physically.  I have never been threatened like that before in my life with criminal action.  It was mind numbing and also shows what kind of a world we live in now. So take heed in this as it may happen to you.  The laws have changed so much in the last few years, and law for guardianship are steep. And to make matters even worse for me since I have a petition in court for guardianship,. last week, a woman, who was a state guardian for over 600 vulnerable adults in the State Medicaid system, was caught from a state audit of taking over $600,000.00 of these adult's money and using it herself.  From this case now, it has really affected my case and many others who are in the process of petitioning the courts for guardianship of family members.  My guardianship attorney, who is also with the same firm as my medicaid attorney, has warned me this will affect the court's view of myself and the case.  We will just have to go and see what kind of a mess this woman left for all who are in the process of guardianship.  It has left a bad mark for all.

Other than that and some issues with my parents and them acting up, its been quiet. I really have not had time to do much of anything.  I have tried to stop for even a few minutes, to cut out fabric for a quilt that I am trying to put together.  Even 15 minutes, helps me to get a little further.  It is mind soothing, and helps me to calm down. I  can hardly wait until I get the pieces cut and then I can fire up the sewing machine and start piecing it together.  Sharon, I am getting back into quilting slowly.  It took me a little bit to figure out the quilting rulers and the quarter inch you need for your seams.  After a few boo-boo's, got that figured out.
As I progress, and get some blocks done, I will post what I am working on.  I have four quilt patterns I am setting up for myself and two for a new niece-in-law and her young daughter.  I planned to do this to welcome her into D's family.

Like I mentioned on Sharon's blog. Mornings Minion, it is the brown season here.  As I am typing this post, it is starting to snow, and its just cold, period.  It is 11 *F with a wind chill of -7* F.  Tonight, the windchill will get to around -20*F to -25*F.  I am not sure of Celsius, but that's  cold. We aren't supposed to get too much snow, but the cold air.  I think I heard that this weekend, Sunday, we are supposed to maybe have significant snow, but for now, its just wait and see now.  If  the weather service posted a winter storm warning or blizzard warning, then its going to happen, until then, I'll just wait and see.

I am posting a new photo  of a new kitty I adopted about a month ago.  She was brought into my vet's clinic, from the animal shelter,  to be put to sleep, as she was old and old cats with no teeth cannot be adopted out or even be put on farms.  This beautiful cat was old and has only four teeth, but she was a house cat of some one's and her family never bothered to claim her or look for her.  She is a beautiful cat, a Siamese, and she is old, and I have no idea how old, but she is healthy, plays and bounces around, has the Siamese personality.  She is very charming and mellow.  So we welcomed her into our home and she is fitting in very well.  I was so glad I was in the vet's office picking up medication for a asthmatic cat as  she was 5 minutes away from euthanasia. It was meant to be.  Her name is Sammi.

Thanksgiving was quiet somewhat.  We spent noon Thanksgiving dinner with my dad, who was not good company.  It was stressful, and unpleasant.  But we endured and then the nursing home kitchen brought me a plate to take to my mom so she could have dinner also.  My dad is so mad at me about staying at the home, but he is next to impossible to take care of, doesn't eat, and argues with you.  He is not social with anyone, and tells me he wants to go home, but mentally, we are quite sure he will harm himself, to die by his hand somehow, and so he will stay there. My mother also cannot handle him at all. And all they would do is fight and I know and so does the Doctor, that she would hurt dad somehow and I do not need that either.    My mother's mental capabilities are not good either, as she is now getting violent outbursts and while I was down not blogging, she came after me with her cane and almost got me in the head.  D was there and came in between us to deflect the blow and then handled her and got her under control.  My mom will back down from D, but not me, which is what late stage 3 Alzheimer's do.  We told her one more outburst and she will be placed into the home with Dad, no questions asked or anything.  That will be that.

That is most of the reason I just have not blogged.  I am just too drained of energy, and the ability to even blog about anything.  My mind is consumed from all of this going on.  I would put my mother in the home, but at this moment in time, it just isn't in the works.  If I can hang on until spring, then it would look better, and I can get her placed and the home sold.  But now with winter coming on, its just not a good idea.

So, at this moment,  I am trying to get some sort of Holiday spirit.  I am doing a little decorating.  I am planning on doing some baking of some Christmas cakes or a fruit cake.  I would like to try Leanne's cake recipe. A lot will depend on what kind of a day I have with my folks.  My days revolve around that every day.  So if its quiet somewhat, I will tackle it.  I have to have some quiet to bake. Baking is not one of my expert pleasures but I did manage to make two pumpkin pies and they were very good I thought.  So maybe there is hope for me yet.

Not much at all to do outside now.   We are into the cold air now, and sometime soon, we will get snow, a blizzard or icy crap to make you stay in and enjoy the inside and eat yourself silly.  I am glad I am picking up my quilting.  Its just taking me a little while to remember things and how to use tools and the rulers.  I have a small stash of fabric I have collected for several years now, knowing that I would start to quilt at sometime.  It is now. As I am typing this to finish, a whole bunch of tumbleweeds are flying across the yard from the pasture to the west of me.  The wind is out of the north/northwest and some of the weeds are huge.  We had some bad winds the last few weeks, and some of those tumbleweeds were over 5 feet tall and wide. Just huge. They are the pits to handle.  They are prickly and bite-y. So you have to handle them with heavy gloves and then get out the big tree nippers and cut them up to place into the yard waste containers.  They are nasty weeds.

Well, I think that I have posted enough. I have some beef in the crockpot going, and I am having beef and noodles tonight.  I like the crockpot as you don't have to babysit the cooking.  My kind of cooking.
I wish everyone a wonderful rest of the week, and a peaceful weekend. Enjoy!

Love and Hugs


  1. Vicki--how odd to read this when I was only moments ago trying to describe to a neighbor how it looks in NE and WY--the winds, the tumbleweeds, the long 'brown' season.
    Your words made me think of the many times we crossed NE in a semi and what a long journey it seemed.
    The on-going stress of trying to care for your parents when they are suspicious and combative [not realizing you are trying to help them] has to be more wearing than going out and doing hard physical work all day. Also, it does seem that in today's world one needs to prove their 'innocence' at every turn---yet the real 'shysters' are adept at getting around the rules.
    I'm glad you have the dear new kitty and that she has you. Keep at your sewing--it is soothing even if only a little bit at a time.

  2. Vicki, you sure have had a time with life the last couple years. Sometimes doing the right thing requires emotional strength we never knew that we had. I'm teetering on the edge of what you are going through with your parents. My mother in law is 87 and starting into that last stage of life. She still have most of her faculties yet but each passing year takes its toll. She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this last July so helping her settle into that life was a real challenge for her and required allot of help in the beginning from me. My saving grace was one of her sisters in New Jersey that calls her every Sunday. She has had diabetes for 30 years and was a great coach for her in what and how much she should be eating. Helping her has settled down for the time being but at her age any day something else could flare up. I'm just enjoying the calm while I can.

    You and your parents are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Have the best day that you can.

  3. Dear Vicki, I don't know how you have kept yourself going with all the trouble and stress with your parents. It does sound like things are beginning to wind down some. How wonderful that you found good lawyers to navigate our complicated government system regarding elder care. I hope things get better for you and them soon.

    I know the new kitty will help and the quilting project. It will take your mind off your troubles. I am so glad you have your helpmate to be with you through all this.

    Beef and noodles sounds good. I love the crock pot too!

  4. Vicki, your new cat looks a lot like my Sam. She is an only cat and would have it no other way. She doesn't meow unless she gets accidentally left in a room with the door closed. She talks a lot but mostly says, "Hmmmmmmmmm??" Heh.

    Glad things are getting straightened out with the bully at the nursing home.