Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11-2001

Good Evening Everyone,

Today was a somber day for me.  I can still see the images from the news about the attacks and remember a conversation that I listened to when my mother and I still had our needlework and quilt shop in town.
At the time, I was involved with designers in NYC, working with them on beading and garment designs for up coming fashion shows.  I also designed and beaded state rodeo queen's clothing and was busy with that at the time also.
I had to call a designer that I was working with at the time to make sure we had all of our ducks in a row for her up coming spring collection, and I was making sure that she would be sending me materials and beads for her prototype garment. I was on the phone with her, when her voice cracked, and she stuttered, at first I thought she had gotten sick or something, and I kept asking if she was ok, and her words were, "I just seen an airplane go into the WTT, (World Trade Towers), her office was just down the street from them and she had an open view of the tragic and unbelievable events that were unfolding at the moment. I could here through the phone the impacts, and sirens and chaos that was starting,   I was totally in shock at what she told me on the phone, and then we just couldn't talk at the time and that we would talk later.  Later, her office was almost destroyed by all of the debris from the impact and collapse.
Needless to say, we did not get to finish her collections.  It was another year before I got her prototypes to design and finish for her show.  After that, I closed the shop for the day, and went home to see the horror myself.

I do not have words to tell you of the feelings I had that day, like everyone else, we were in total shock of  the events.  I am not even sure if we are safer today than that day, but I will tell you, our world changed that very day, and not for the better.

I will post sometime this week of what I have been up to, but for today, I leave thoughts of everyone who was touched by the events of 9-11 and prayers for the families, the victims, and the innocent.  Also, the first responders, the firemen, police, and EMT's, my prayers and thoughts are with all.

Hugs

4 comments:

  1. I learned of the attack when I turned on the TV--2 times zones removed from NY. How strange adn awful for yoou to be on te phone and hear the sounds from that distance.
    9/11 left us realizing how helplessly vulnerable we can be to evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very personal experience with that tragedy. I am just stunned again watching that horror unfold. It is hard for me to imagine anyone hating a country so much to want to destroy it and its citizens. That is a concept most Americans just can't understand and I don't think ever will.

    I didn't know your beading background. How impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Denim ~ How awful for your friend to have seen that horror first hand and while you two were talking on the phone.

    That day was horrible and yes it did change this country forever.

    I couldn't re-watch the horror of the planes going into the buildings it is already in my mind. My heart goes out to all who lost loved ones on that terrible day and in days to come afterwards.

    Hugs to you too ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on the computer with my daughter who saw the second plane fly in to the tower. Like Kennedy you never forget what you were dong at that moment.

    ReplyDelete