Tuesday, December 13, 2011

egg noodle recipe

Mabel's Egg Noodles

2 1/2 Cups flour (I used all purpose)
Pinch of salt
2 eggs beaten and set aside
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon butter

I get everything out and let sit to room temp.  Like the milk and eggs.  I do slightly heat up my milk, to warm and add to my flour.

I place flour in a large bowl, make a little hole in the center and then add your salt,  then I add my heated milk, then the eggs in the center.

I mix with a heavy wooden spoon I favor, blend well, and then I leave this mixture sit in the frig for about a half hour to an hour.

After chilling,  I take flour out, place on a floured cutting board and knead with my hands well, until everything is blended and the dough feels silky.

I then make a long roll, and then using a pastry cutter, cut into manageable chunks that you can flatten out and run through the machine.

If you do not a pasta machine, just roll out like a pie crust, and then you can use a pizza cutter to make your noodles, cutting the size you want.  I have also used a hand wheel that was my grandmother's that tenderized meat.
makes about a 1 pound bag of noodles.

I place my noodles in the freezer to chill and then toss them in a little flour to coat and then place them in bags for portion sizes.

2 comments:

  1. I copied this one. It seems all noodle recipes are slightly different. I keep hesitating about buying another kitchen 'gadget' so I just roll mine out.

    Thanks for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. I have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE not to try making these, as I have an ex-car-boot-sale pasta machine just like yours, so I have the technology! Danny loves eating noodles to, so, perhaps today's the day!

    Thank you for your kind support over Tippy. We tried everything, but it wasn't to be . . .

    Now, as you will have seen, we have a pregnant stray end up with us. Just what we needed, I don't think . . .

    ReplyDelete