Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Keeps Gettin' Better

Good Evening Everyone,

I thought I'd maybe better post to let all know, (or not know) that I am still here, hanging on, and it seems it will never quit.  I have been running the last few weeks taking my mother to an orthopedic specialist at a clinic about 100 miles away.  About 6 years ago, her left leg bone broke at where the shaft of her artificial hip was and spiral broke around it.  The surgeon plated her leg bone with a plate and about 13 screws holding the plate in place.  Its a piece of work, on xray, but now the hip keeps falling out of place and I have been threatened a few times to get her to this specialist.  D and I have been very sick the last month with some virus that made you feel like you could crawl somewhere to die.  I had not been that sick for about 7 years. He and I still have the bark. We finally were well enough to take her to this specialist.
We took her to Kearney last Wednesday, and it was a hell of a trip.  We had to rent a car as we do not have a road worthy  vehicle.  And then she turned in a total animal, and she was even sedated.  Well, to change the outcome of her getting her surgery, D ended up being hurt pretty bad yesterday afternoon (Monday), by a steer.  He was loading at a feed lot about 50 miles from here and another trucking company owner and himself were trying to load these cattle.  The next thing D said, was a Brahma, about 1800 #, was staring at him, and then as quick as a New York minute, the steer had him down  in the feedlot, and pinned him.  It took a lot of men, and some cowboys on horseback to get the steer off of him, and one of the cowboys shot the steer to keep it from hurting or killing someone else.  It was a nightmare.  The owner of the feedlot said that the cattle were spooky, and unruly all day yesterday, and I am sure it is because we are having very bad weather today and tonight.  Very stormy and unsettled.  So the small village where everyone was at has an ambulance and EMT's and they had him in the unit and hauled butt back here to ER.  He was badly stomped on, and his right leg broken in 3 places.  I just got home here about 7:30 pm tonight, after sitting all day at the hospital and in surgery, where they pinned and rodded the leg.  I left as I was completely exhausted from sitting last night til about midnight and then up at 7 am and back at the hospital about 9 am. D was still heavily sedated and still groggy so the nurses told me to go home as he was in good hands and if they need me, they will call. 
I am sure that Glenda from Living and Gardening in the Ozarks will attest, cattle are extremely unpredictable. These were fats going to Fort Morgan to the plant. These were large and heavy cattle.
So now, I have a man down, as well and try to handle my parents.  I went today before I went to the hospital, and explained to my parents, that I cannot at this time be a their beckoned call.  They will just have to plan by  my schedule as I can plan.  It will be at least 8 weeks, if not more before D is healed, and he is 60, and it make take longer.  It depends on many things.  We will just see on a daily basis.
So, at this point in time, I feel that I have a curse on me.  I guess all I can do it ask for strength and take it each day as it comes.
So, other than that, I have been doing ok, I am upset at all of this, but I feel I can just take it by the horns, so to speak and as the British say, "Keep calm and Carry On", which is what I will do.
Other than this little bump, things have been somewhat calmer, I finally got my garden in, it will be totally late this year.  We had very chilly weather and cold and I had to re-start a lot of the garden.  Now, its just worry about hail and bad weather which is ramping up now.  We need rain so bad.  Sunday we got 2 inches, which we needed so very badly.  If it would just rain and no hail or nasty storms like we are getting now.
But, I am still here, and will try to post how everything is going.  I have been trying to keep up with all of you and reading about what everyone is doing.  I know it will get better.
Well, as FlowerLady says, I am ready to get horizontal, I am just exhausted so I will just keep all posted and wish hugs and love to all.


  1. Oh dear, poor you. If if ain't one thing, it's another! It's about time you had a long period of CALM.

  2. Oh my! You must be exhausted. Please remember to take care of yourself.

  3. Oh Vicki! a huge ((HUG)) from across the oceans. I had lost your blog for a little while, and have just read all your posts from christmas onwards. I wish i had some words that would truly help, some real physical help, but all i can offer is verbal support. You are a lovely lady and i wish you peace and happiness to come. Remember you are important too, and you must look after yourself as well. ((hugs))

    Leanne x

  4. Dearest Vicki ~ What a time you have had! How awful about D and the brahma. My heart and prayers go out for the both of you. You for strength to carry on, and for D to have smooth and swift healing.

    Love and hugs to you both ~ FlowerLady

  5. You have been going through a lot, it's an incredible turn of events. I wish the speediest of recovery for everyone. Sometimes when everything is going crazy around the two of us, we have to ground ourselves in easy things. Weeding, watching the sprinkler, sitting on the front porch watching the grass, etc.
    Keep us up to date when you can, if there is anything I can do just let me know.

  6. Lordy, lordy - bad things never come alone do they? I think all you can do is to hold on to the thought that all things happen for a reason, and perhaps in the long term this will all lead to better things for you both. That sounded like one mean steer anyway, and better off dead, but a shame he had to make such a mess of D before he went. I hope D is soon on the mend and meanwhile, turn to your garden for solace. (((HUGS)))


  7. Vicki, this definitely is a bad season of life for you. I'm amazed that you actually have a garden this year. It's probably the only place of relaxation for you. If that's even possible. I've had periods of life that has pounded on me as well. The only thing that worked for me was not to ever give up no matter how bad it was. Things did get better and now I'm in probably the best season of my life. For a decade all I could do was think about the next right thing to do. Yes, not every one was happy with my lack of attention but some times my sanity required a few hours of rest and relaxation. So many times the focus is on those that are sick or in need but no thoughts are given to the toll it takes on the caregiver. You are in my thoughts and prayers quite often. Right now it doesn't seem like there's ever going to be an end to this misery but I encourage you to stay strong and continue to function as best you can under the circumstances.

    Have the best day that you can.

  8. I always love hearing how you are doing. Hon, I don't believe in curses - I think you're just experiencing LIFE. I know, my life has had it's ups and downs and they go in spurts. You're just still in a "spurt" OKAY a long spurt. :-)

    Take care of yourself but just know, you are way stronger than you give yourself credit for. I can hear your inner strength just from this post.

    Take care!

  9. Vicki, I am sure this just seemed like the last straw! . I am so glad D wasn't hurt even worse. Yes, cattle are dangerous. I have heard that particular breed is worse that the rest! Penned cattle are really dangerous; they feel threatened and will choose to go through you rather than around you.

    I hope you can sort of ignore your parents for a while and see to D and maybe even count that hospital time as a rest.....That is stretching it a bit, I know.

    I am thinking about you and wishing you the very best.

  10. I am so sorry to hear about D's unfortunate "up close and personal" with that steer. I am thinking about both of you and hope his recovery is speedy and without any bumps. I truly hope and pray that your life will ease up and settle down and go smoothly even just for a little while. Hang in there, lady. I'm all moved and June 2 I sent the keys back to that absentee landlord. That was a load off my mind. I'm settling into my new digs slowly but surely. Now if I could just figure out which end is up . . .
    I will be thinking about the both of you and let us hear how D gets on. Take care.

  11. Vicki, I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to contact you by email. Just wanted to let you know I've bought a new computer and am blogging again, at least as long as things work ok. C'mon over if you can find the time.

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I swear girl, there just seems to be a black cloud over you. I hope D's doing better by now. Hugs, Ilene

  12. Dear Vicki ~ Wanted to wish you a lovely Christmas filled with love, peace & joy. Have missed hearing from you.

    May 2015 be a good year for you.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady